Secondary RSE: Five star SMART programme
An Introduction to the Programme
With over 20 years experience of delivering RSE to Secondary Schools we like to think we know what works. We appreciate time tabling can be challenging so our Secondary School packages can be delivered as class sessions, workshops, school enhancement/enrichment days or year group roadshows.
Our Programme in Secondary Schools uses a Youth Work approach to RSE delivery, participation, empowerment and inclusion are fundamental to its success. The Team fosters a non-judgmental, relaxed, receptive atmosphere, which doesn’t shy away from sensitive issues. There is also time for lighter moments and the use of appropriate humour! We currently deliver to over 5,000 Senior Students from a broad social base: multi-cultural, urban, rural, faith and Academy Schools.
- One lesson covering everything that should have been covered at Primary: Proactive safeguarding (including consent), reproduction, puberty, relationships and reliable sources of information regarding relationships and sex. Opportunity to ask anonymous questions in the Ask It Basket.
- Optional for Girls & Boys CSE (Child Sexual Exploitation) we raise awareness of personal safety, potential grooming and exploitation in a way that is realistic but age appropriate.
Year 8 (Upwards)
- Risk & Resilience
Ground rules, social norms and underage sexual behaviour, the 20/80 rule.
Sex and Language (understanding the words the BigTalk Team and others use) reproduction, puberty changes, periods, consent etc. (update from previous learning.)
Sex and the Law, risky behaviour and consequences, including pregnancy myths, alcohol, rights & responsibilities, technology, and confidentiality.
- Relationships and Sexuality
“Ask it Basket” for anonymous traditional & contemporary dilemmas/questions. Positive friendships & relationships, abusive relationships, peer pressure, sexual norms and those portrayed in the media. Internet safety; chat rooms and the dangers of inappropriate web sites. Sexual orientation including the new emerging sexualities, growing up gay, transgender, challenging homophobia and female genital mutilation.
- Optional Year 8 for Boys SWAIRS(Safe Ways to Access Information about Relationships & Sex) how to stay safe when looking for information on-line. Too many boys are accessing inappropriate sites and assuming this reflects sex is in real life. This Workshop myth-busts and stresses the importance of respect and consent within relationships.
- Optional for Girls CSE (Child Sexual Exploitation) Girls at this age can be targeted on and off line, we focus on offline grooming as it is a topic that seems to be an ever-present modern danger (this is far harder hitting than the Yr7 Workshop).
Year 9 (Upwards)
- Infections and Protection
Self-esteem within relationships. STI’s, what are they, how are they transmitted, their effects, which ones can be cured (and which can’t). Safer sex; condom information and demonstration. How to access condoms, confidence, consent and communication skills.
- Relationships and Parenthood
The effects of unplanned pregnancy on potential fathers and mothers. Contraception; modern methods and availability. What to expect during pregnancy? The whole concept of “consent” including the effects of alcohol and our behaviour within relationships.
“Sex Test” to measure individual learning. Evaluation and feedback.
Year 10 Specialist Workshops on topics such as,
“Consent & Communication” , sex is easy to shout about, not always easy to talk about, plus where do we draw the line between flirting and sexual harassment?
“Mates, Dates, Loves, Hates?” Identifying abusive relationships & identifying the perfect partner.
“Reality of Pregnancy & Parenthood” Parenthood, get the low down on how things really are, often includes a REAL baby or Toddler.
Year 11 RSE Catch Up.
This is often the age at which young people are often thinking of becoming sexually active, we do a one hour catch up of the essential issues: unplanned parenthood, contraception, correct condom use, STIs, consent, pleasure and responsibility etc.
Got a question? Get in touch.
Request information on BigTalk Education's services for your school
Introduction to age appropriate RSE
Our guide to high quality, age appropriate Relationship & Sex Education for your child, helping you know what to expect from us.
BigTalk Education's Growing Up Safe Programme
Children want their parents to be the first people to talk to them about growing up, sex and relationships. Yet many parents say they lack confidence to answer their children's questions frankly, Schools are there to help, and BigTalk Education are here to support Schools and Teachers. Members of the BigTalk Team can come into School for a part or whole day, ensuring your children (and you as parents) are well educated to keep them safe, healthy and happy! Find out more >
BigTalk Education's 5 Star SMART RSE
Our Programme in Secondary Schools uses a Youth Work approach to RSE delivery, participation, empowerment and inclusion are fundamental to its success. Our Team fosters a non-judgmental, relaxed, receptive atmosphere, which doesn’t shy away from sensitive issues. Find out more >
Bodies, Babies & Bellybuttons
This book is a gentle introduction for children about their bodies and where they come from. A must have for all parents to help answer your children's questions in a simple, understandable and age appropriate way.